Thursday, May 14, 2015

Poem

Poem

 
 
 
Of course the poem I would write about is The Negro Speaks of Rivers.
 
 
I love reading poetry because I love the symbolic meaning.  In The Negro Spoke of river has a deep rich meaning to it .
 
 
I’ve known rivers:
I’ve known rivers ancient as the world and older than the  
     flow of human blood in human veins.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.

I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young.
I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep.
I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it.
I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln
     went down to New Orleans, and I’ve seen its muddy
     bosom turn all golden in the sunset.

I’ve known rivers:
Ancient, dusky rivers.

My soul has grown deep like the rivers.
 
 
 
There is history in this poem. Metaphorcal meaning , symbolic meaning. I think the reason why I  like this poem, and I have mention it before in other post is the similes. Similes are a figure of speech involving the comparison of one thing with another thing of a different kind, used to make a description more emphatic or vivid . " My Soul has grown deep like the rivers", "I've known rivers
  ancient as the world."  Such rich comparisons.  
 


Poetry has different figures of speech. This poem portray such figures of speech such as

Alliteration

Repetition of a consonant sound

Assonance
In stressed syllables, repetition of a vowel sound followed by a different consonant sound

Anaphora

Repetition of a word, phrase, or clause at the beginning of word groups occurring one after the other


 
 


5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading that. I look forward to reading your paper if we end up doing that peer review for Doc. 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is very interesting and I liked it. It uses a lot of images and the images are really interesting. I really like the part about the descriptions of the rivers and the dawn and the Congo, those are very beautiful places. I do not really truly know what the author wants to say but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your article, I cant wait to read the finish product.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My opinion Negro Speaks is more about freedom. The black people use to go to the river to escape from their masters to run to freedom. Some tried to cross the river but end up dying. Also you had woman during does times that would walk to the river to get water to drink or water to cook with. At the river they would pray and sing spirtual songs wishing for their freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy I enjoyed reading your post this week. one thing I love about poems is that, you never know what you are going to get out of it. The poem is short and has allot of meaning. One thing for sure is that only the write can really tell you what he or she meant in this poem.

    ReplyDelete