Death
This word was unfamiliar to me growing up. I really never thought about death until my
grandmother from my mom's side passed away. I was 18 years old and I did not
know how to process it. It was the first time that a loss of a person impacted
my whole family. We had heard of people passing away but never close to us. For
years my parents had tried to bring my grandmother to the U.S. and in 2009 that
wish had come true. Only to have her pass away in front of the Miami airport.
At that point I closed myself off and went along with the funeral preparations. I had never seen so many people cry. I had
never seen my mother in so much distress. To be completely honest I have yet to
accept the death. Since I didn’t see the funeral because my mother send the
body back to Mexico to be properly buried there is like she never passed away.
I have yet to return to Mexico and frankly I do not think I
would. At least not to my parents’ hometown. Her house was the first house we
would arrive to. Going back would have to force me to accept it. The same for
my father's mother who died a few years later. I guess when it comes to death I
am not so accepting.
No comments:
Post a Comment